Thursday, September 27, 2012

Youth is Wasted On the Young.

So what does it mean to be young? I honestly can't remember.

Just kidding--I'm not that old.

People always say not to grow up too fast. I never really considered that to be sage wisdom, but actually.. it kind of is. The time to be selfish is when you have no responsibilities. You can look out for just you and it won't be to the detriment of anyone else (we hope). I mean, no one is depending on you yet. It's the perfect time to travel, experiment.. just do things that may not be prudent later on.

I think a part of me is bothered that I'm not grown up (aka financially independent) yet. But the glass is actually half full. Living at home = no rent + free meals.. mostly. There'll be lots of time to be an adult but in the meantime, life should be enjoyed.. right?

To that end, it's really annoying when people pretend to be so grown up but really aren't. You can't feign maturity. And don't look down on me because I am trying to make the most of my youth. Putting myself above other people does not make me selfish. It makes me honest. And realistic.

But then again, people also can't stay kids forever. Eventually, you must acknowledge your responsibilities and take control of your life. I don't think there's a specific deadline for this, but I think once you're out of school.. you should also be out of the nest.

Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment